Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Desperately Seeking Joy: Holiday Movies 2020 #16 - National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

   

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)


For some reason this movie finds its way onto my TV every year. I think it’s because the actual television stations play the goodness gracious out of it. So I always watch it, but I never really enjoy watching it. I’m just not a Griswold fan and some of the absurdities that he “gets away with” are just too baffling to me. I struggle with the amount of belief in reality that I'm being asked to suspend. And yet, I leave it on every time. I don’t actively seek out watching it. 

I will say, it is at least the most meaningful of the NL-Griswold movies. Christmas Vacation is a staple on many Christmas Movie Lists and I think some of it is just that obvious holiday connection and the comedy that ensues over a tragic holiday season, but I think some of it is nostalgia at this point. Suffice to say, I like it better than A Christmas Story (which I avoid at all costs). 




No comments:

Post a Comment