Friday, March 30, 2018

The Joy of Gaming: 29 Days Until International Tabletop Day - Settlers of Catan


Oh my god! Oh my god! Oh my god! Settlers of Catan is THE game that changed everything! Our friend Jim broke out this game one day while we were hanging out and it was all over from there. I was hooked. I was addicted. It was one of my absolute gateway games to realizing this is a whole new way of gaming! I always loved playing games, but this was something that just enthralled me.

The jokes that go with the game have littered my life since I first learned this game. Wood for Sheep... oh my goodness... I always had an agenda. This was where the first color-wars happened over pieces. 

It has become a staple game that continues to enamor people. I don't play it as much anymore, but that well-worn box still finds it's place in my heart. So much so that I wanted to get Catan Junior for my daughter, but my husband put the breaks on that. I still disagree to this day that it would be good to have, because I could even use it in my classroom, but it is what it is. Granted, my daughter is playing some pretty advanced games at this point. La Isla? And she teaches games really well, too. I love it!

So I still haven't gotten to play Catan Junior, but my game club was invited to Khaos-Kon to teach the junior games to families! Also, the older kids can run some of their own and I even have some of my older kids running the Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle game. So while I'm at the con, I intend to fully verse myself in the Junior game series.

As a final note, I thought I'd just throw out there at the Green Bay Packers LOVE Settlers of Catan. I wouldn't be a proper Cheesehead if I didn't. Thanks Wheaton for sharing this truly gateway game to part of my own adult successes.  






No comments:

Post a Comment