Saturday, December 8, 2018

The Joy of Gaming: December Challenge 2018 - Day 8: Shadows of Brimstone

Shadows of Brimstone took us forever to break out. We ordered it way back when it was on Kickstarter and then waited for it arrive. It was like a Christmas that kept on coming! Then it finally hit the table and we were hooked! After our fiasco with our RPG experiment, I was missing the excitement of playing a character, growing them, and developing them. Shadows of Brimstone offers that in a way and it gives it a pretty great take on a campaign style game. 

I play Larc, the one-eyed, one-armed orphan! See, he had one arm, because the arm on the figure kept falling off, but then my husband finally glued it back on and now I'm sad, because he can't be the one-armed orphan. But I love him either way. His name is clearly a play on Carl from The Walking Dead. He has an eye-patch and the image on the character card even looks like Carl. Hehe!

I also play Sister Jane, the Nun. I have a thing for nuns (see 6 years of my life studying nuns in film). Plus Two Mules for Sister Sara and Lilies in the Field had me wanting to make an adventurous go at being a nun running around with an orphan and other misfits. I mean, who better to raise an orphan? She was running an orphanage and had to leave with Larc, because he needed to find his sister and wouldn't take no for an answer. On the eave of his attempt to escape, Sister Jane finds him crawling out a window and as she confronts him, there are screams from the front of the orphanage. Bandits invaded and Sister Jane could only save Larc. Now she accompanies him on his quest.

How's that for backstory?

Shadows has quickly become one of my husbands most played games and has quickly snuck up the ranks of his Top 100 and even Top 10 list. It's a beast to set up and there's so much going on, but it's a heck of an awesome game for an evening campaign or a day of gaming. We are still collecting expansions and things. We even talked to Jason Hill at GenCon. How could be not take the opportunity to gush to him in person? We were, though, also very excited to see all the new stuff they had to offer up close and personal. Goodness I wish we had the money for ALL THE THINGS! 







No comments:

Post a Comment