Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Desperately Seeking Joy: Holiday Movies 2020 #1 - Love Actually & The Holiday

I'm starting with my girly movie favorites.

Love Actually (2003)

My husband argues that this isn’t a Christmas movie, because it’s only set at Christmas time. If we’re going down that road, then we need to consider Die Hard, dear sweet loved one. But anyways. I love watching this movie during the holidays, because it is full of the warm fuzzies, even the disappointing warm fuzzies of failed or dismal relationships. It’s just all about love, which is what we’re supposed to be full of during the holidays. The Andrew Lincoln/Keira Knightley scene is still the most tear-jerking scene for me. But I love the whole cast! Talk about a hit with all the right people! The Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson story is the absolute saddest. Laura Linney's is the most heartbreaking, because she is at the mercy of her heartfilled dedication. The funniest one, though, is Martin Freeman. Sigh, ok... I don't want to go through every storyline. Essentially, the whole thing just shows all the levels that love works at.

The Holiday (2006)

The grass is always greener on the other side, right? An adorable story of changing places and finding the beauty of what is right in front of you. Always makes me squeal with joy and cry tears of mixed emotions. Kate Winslet and Jack Black are my favorite couple. Everything wraps up in a neat package for everyone. Try not to think beyond their initial relationship, or it might just spoil the magic of what love found during a vacation can do for you and your self-esteem. 





No comments:

Post a Comment