Friday, June 8, 2018

5 Fandom Friday - Comfort Foods That Always Make Me Feel Better


(Edited and republished from 8/25/2017)

This week's 5 Fandom Friday is "Comfort Foods That Always Make Me Feel Better." I find this one funny, because my husband has us going Keto and while typically I don't miss food... there are some days I just crave something so badly that I'd give up the whole lifestyle to have it. Yet, after a year of living on Keto, I have found foods that really help fill that gap when I need it. So I've concocted 2 lists of 5. Non-Keto and Keto.

Non-Keto Comfort Foods That Always Make Me Feel Better

1. Toast with Melted Butter and Honey
I'm being totally honest... that is such a comfort food and so sweet! There is no replacement for this nostalgic taste.
https://www.thekitchn.com

2. Pizza
Enuf said! Specifically Jake's Pizza... the Buffalo Chicken pizza with the thin crust. God I love that place. It's my cheat place, actually. I get a small. It doesn't kill my progress as much as other things.

3. Macaroni and Cheese
This was always my favorite little food. From scratch or a box, I had perfect making any kind of Mac n' Cheese, because it was my favorite. I miss you pasta...

simplyhappyfoodie.com

4. Salvadorian Breakfast Cakes/Cupcakes
I don't remember how I found this recipe, but I made it and I fell in love. A Parmesan sweet/savory and I made a Chocolate version. Oh my goodness... they are so delicious, but sugar is everywhere! Will always love it.
https://food52.com

5. Pretzels (Soft or Hard)
Pretzel fiend over here. Pretzel nuggets at the movies, pretzels at the ballpark, pretzel sticks with cream cheese... Supposedly there are Keto-Friendly pretzels, but... I don't know if I want to be disappointed. My daughter has just discovered the joys of soft Pretzels with Nacho Cheese... and so I bought her those ones with the cheese inside. I'll be honest... I steal one off her plate.
www.platingsandpairings.com

Keto Comfort Foods That Always Make Me Feel Better

1. Ham and Pickle Rolls
These are one of my favorite party foods, but when I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to eat or pack for lunch, these always just make me feel a bit better. A bit nostalgic. They're ham with cream cheese spread on them and a slice of pickle in the middle. A friend called them "Wisconsin Sushi." haha! You can also chop up the ham and pickles and then add in the cream cheese and it becomes a dip or cracker topping or something like that. You have the ratios on everything right. I can't even find a picture of them that I think really represents it... whether the ham type, the amount of pickle or the amount of cream cheese. It's crazy! Ah well. Pickles, ham, and cream cheese. MIX IT LOVE IT!

2. Gordon Ramsey's Sublime Eggs
When we saw these made on MasterChef, I knew I could make them and we have just fallen in love with them. A small pillow of joy. I've perfected my version. Sometimes even use a little cream cheese instead of creme fresh.  We cook ours JUST a bit more than absolutely runny like him. Either way. It's delicious!


3. Low-Carb Chicken Divan Casserole
I found this recipe looking for some cauliflower dishes. This has become a total comfort food. Something I need more in the winter than in the summer, but oh my goodness... it's creamy and there's chicken and broccoli. Oh so delicious!

4. Rotisserie Chicken and Broccoli dipped in Butter
One of the quickest keto meals we can have when I don't want to cook. Strip the chicken, steam the broccoli and get out that dipping bowl of butter. Dip chicken, eat. Dip broccoli, eat. Chew, napkin, repeat. Always hits the spot and relieves the stress of cooking.

5. Chocolate Chip Cookie Butter Fat Bomb
This recipe comes from Sweet & Savory Fat Bombs by Martina Slajerova. It is a bit fiddly at the beginning, because you have so many steps, but oh well. It's worth it! I make the cookie, then chop it up, add, butter, then add some keto chocolate chips. BOOM! Such a treat for lunch or at the end of a long, hard day. Love them so much.


Man... that entry was hard... let's get on to some geekier entries. Ha!



No comments:

Post a Comment