Thursday, August 15, 2013

Happy Birthday, Julia Child!


I have always considered Julia Child to be the first REAL Gastro-Geek ("Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.")! Anyone who knows her story knows that she didn't even start cooking until she was 32-years-old. Until then, she had just been eating and taking in all that food had to offer. Then she felt like she could start to really share her passion.
I am a lover of cooking. I absolutely fell in love with cooking when I moved overseas to Scotland. The quality of food I was working with, within my budget, was incredible ("You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients."). We also, at times, had such a limited budget that we had to improvise. As I so often do, though, I jumped in and started to teach myself to cook. For some reason, I could just sit and watch a cooking show and all of a sudden, I remembered all the techniques I had seen. I was absorbing knowledge about cooking. I am by no means a master chef or the best cook out there, but I'm good enough and growing every day ("You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love."). If you want to see what I've been working on, you can look at my food blog. It's small, but I keep trying to add as often as I can.

When I was a little girl, I remember watching Julia Child on television. She was crazy awesome! She was fearless! I never forgot her, but when Julie & Julia was released, my passion for her was renewed. I have her books on my to-read shelf. Julia Child has such an amazingly profound life. She is an absolute inspiration and whenever I put on a string of pearls, I feel the compulsion to cook something French and have a huge glass of wine.

Happy Birthday Mrs. Child! You are truly an inspiration to chefs and woman (and everyone) everywhere! I have a feeling, I too might be "thirty-seven-years-old and still discovering who I [am]." Thank you for helping the wanderers feel they have a purpose.


“The more you know, the more you can create. There's no end to imagination in the kitchen.”
― Julia Child, Particular Passions: Talks With Women Who Have Shaped Our Times

No comments:

Post a Comment