Monday, July 8, 2013

Falling Skies and Me



You may or may not have heard of a show called Falling Skies. It's another Spielberg oriented show dealing with people and aliens and all the different scenarios the human races faces interacting with aliens. It's on TNT in the US and is in its third season. It stars Noah Wyle from ER fame back in the 90's. It's a Sci-Fi show about an alien invasion of Earth that quickly wipes out a great number of people and those who survived are left to fight the aliens as rebels, using their knowledge of their world to thwart their evil plans. As the seasons move on, more and more is revealed about who are the actual invading aliens and what is really going on for the humans that have survived. I don't want to give too much away, just in case you want to start watching it.

This was a show that I stumbled upon when I was moving up to my new home to start work as a first time teacher. I didn't know what to watch on TV in the evenings and I saw that the OnDemand channel had Falling Skies. From then I was hooked on the show. It was interesting and I was reintroduced to my love of Science Fiction.

What made this show even more tantalizing to me was that it turned out Wil Wheaton hosted the 2nd Watch, a discussion show about the episode that aired and featured the cast of the show for interviews and reflections. I remember it aired on television and was a webcast. It was also at that point in time that I asked Ray more about this Wheaton guy I had been hearing about. Yes, I confess, I didn't watch Star Trek as a youth. I had seen a few episodes and all the movies. I had also seen Wheaton on the Big Bang Theory and had been introduced to him more fully on episodes of The Guild, so I was becoming more aware of how awesome he was in the geeksphere.

On top of an additional show/webcast, the show also spun off some graphic novels (comic books put out by Dark Horse Comics in 2010), which seems to be all the rage for sci-fi television shows right now (think the Walking Dead). This takes things to a whole new level of additional awesome and further enhances the visual level of storytelling that the television show already provides.

Anyways, the long and short of it is. . . Falling Skies is an incredibly smart look at an alien invasion. It doesn't holdback from hitting on topics we've all wondered about, even if at times it gets a bit weird with the Mason family. Either way, I enjoyed the show before the rising of my geek, but I love it even more now that I'm working my way through the entire series.

I can't wait to see how this season ends. Terry O'Quinn (LOST and Star Trek: TNG) is also on this season again, so I am super psyched to see what they do with him. I heart Terry O'Quinn. I just wish it wasn't a summer series and I could watch it more often. I even was able to get Ray into watching it. Win! So if you're a Sci-Fi geek and haven't checked it out yet (yeah right), tune in to see what happens when the sky falls.


No comments:

Post a Comment