Friday, June 14, 2013

Star Trek: The Original Series - Episode 12: The Menagerie, Part 2

Episode 12 - The Menagerie, Part 2

  •  OMG This really did become a season finale. . . in scope of waiting to watch Part 2, that is. Shame on me and my subconscious modern need to wait long periods of time between two part episodes!
  • Last Time. . . on Star Trek!
  • WHY SPOCK, WHY?!?!?!
  • Is that eyeshadow on Spock?
  • Well, we already have the death penalty upon us, might as well keep watching.
  • What? No HD in the future? You can really see the restoration, though. 
  • "IT'S A TRAP!"
  • Collections of specimens.
  • It's a Menagerie!!! A Cage!!! Both episode titles... DONE!
  • No human can resist the Orion Slave Girl Vina! 
  • Awe man. . . everyone is against Spock! He didn't even stand a chance. (GUILTY!!)
  • Flagrant emotionalism. . . Spock feels insulted.
  • All's well that ends well. 
  • No Sulu or Janice.... 

I don't have much to say about this episode, other than the interest I have in the background of its creation and how they used all the stock footage from the failed pilot to help out the intense filming schedule of shows at that time. I love the t-shirt I found, though. I almost would order it if I had expendable income for it. How cool is that?

But in addition to finding that shirt, I found one for "Mirror, Mirror." Funny thing. . . I knew about the whole "bizarro" world and all that stuff, but I have never seen the episode. I have seen parodies and heard the story (Sealab 2021 anyone?), but then on The Big Bang Theory (Season 3: Episode 1 - "The Electric Can Opener Fluctuation"), where Sheldon comes home from his Magnetic North Pole expedition to test his theories, he shows up with a Bizarro Spock "beard." I made the connection after having seen the bottle of wine for "Mirror, Mirror" and seeing the t-shirt on the website. I feel super special for knowing, because knowing is half the battle! Woots!

Um... as a digression... the label for the picture I have of Sheldon calls his "beard" a goatee. I don't consider it a goatee. So I asked my husband, who has a beard, what is what he has called? We are not experts on male facial hair. What Sheldon has is not a goatee. A goatee does not include a mustache. We thought it was a Short Boxed Beard, but apparently he needs sideburns. We then thought it was a Van Dyke Beard, but those need a separation between the goatee and the mustache (ala Johnny Depp in 2011 or Christian Bale in 2010). Essentially what we discovered is that he just has a mustache with a goatee, known as a Circle Beard. Oh the things we'll talk about. Funny thing is, we aren't even board. We just really needed to know. 


No comments:

Post a Comment