Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Geeking on a Field Trip

I had been volunteered by my coworkers to be one of the sixth grade representatives for the end of year Honors Level All-Stars field trip to the YMCA. I can't complain really, considering I get to go on my first field trip as an official teacher AND leave the school for the afternoon. When I woke up that morning, I decided to wear my Red Star Trek T-shirt.

First of all, I thought it would be good to wear red on the field trip. Why? Because our school colors are red, white, and black and I didn't really want to wear my school shirt (which is not as cool as a red Star Trek shirt). Plus, I was like "ooo... I'm leaving the primary vessel for new territory to explore and report back!" Since it was also my first year as a teacher, I thought the status of "red shirt" would be kind of funny, as well.


Then Ray decided to tell me that the red shirt becomes an honorary color and yellow gets bumped down later on in the series/films. So technically, by wearing red I was distinguishing myself as one of the superior officers on the trip! Yeah, that was an awesome thing to hear.


One of my students then asked me about the red shirt and we swapped geek stories about red shirts and Star Trek, because my student ended up being a trekkie.The sad thing was, though, I was in the pool area and it was a million degrees and that shirt was definitely not for such extremely hot temperatures. I thought I was going to go back to school with sweat stains showing up everywhere! Luckily I survived, unlike other Red Shirts. Hurray! The geek lives to geek another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment