Thursday, November 14, 2019

November 2019 Thankfulness List - Day 14


Yeah yeah... the obvious thankfulness for books. I've got one of those homes where it's tons of books, tons of movies, and tons of my own personal nerd junk. I even have bins of books stored, because we just don't have the space to put them all. I've even got tons of digital books that I can't even display.

But I had a falling out with books. It was around the time I became a teacher. In middle school, especially sixth grade, the books the kids read are just so not my thing. We teach them to be passionate readers and to pick the books that inspire you and keep you engaged and keep you thinking. They're at a pivotal stage in their reading development and finding the things that keep them going. So I'm teaching them this and... well... I don't get that from their books. I want my books. I want to read the books that keep my interest. And with the very little free time that I have, it is frustrating to have to read books that I'm not interested in and it makes me bitter.

But I went to this reading institute in NYC over the summer. I learned some things about working with students and not feeling completely smothered by having to read everything that they're reading. It's all about knowing how to ask the right questions (and sometimes looking up some additional information online). Now, all of a sudden, I am back in the game! I am psyched for these book clubs I FINALLY was able to set up and get going. I even read a book along with one of my groups. Granted, it was Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, but that's alright! I wanted a girly book.

Then, though, I was book buying crazy. THAT is a dangerous thing, because we just don't have the money for that. Being able to do, though, what I'm doing right now has made me appreciate books even more. I don't feel berated for not reading what my kids are reading. I feel empowered being able to help them read meaningful books and I can still talk to them about them, without it being a burden.

So for many other reason why I am thankful for books, this is why I felt today was the day I wanted to feel thankful. I'm on my second round of Book Club books and it is the final reflection day on the Book Club Books #1. I have falling in love with books again. I just hope it lasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment