Saturday, December 6, 2014

Meet Me at the Table: December Game-a-Day Challenge - Day 6: Council of Verona


Council of Verona (2013)

I had actually purchased this for my husband's stocking for St. Nick. Sadly, I filled his stocking with other awesome games and my stocking was looking a little. . . bare. . . so I slipped this into my stocking. Treat myself and all that. Like many Lit-Chicks in high school and college, we fall in love with Shakespeare, especially the tragic romances. I grew up when Romeo + Juliet came out and I fell in love with Clare Danes as Juliet, the frantic pace of Lurhman's creative vision, and the soundtrack.


This game was a no-brainer to have as an addition to my collection and, after playing it this evening, it was quick, challenging, and enjoyable. Sure it would play better with a few more people, but it played well enough for the two of us.

Based on Shakespeare's Verona, you play council members who need to mediate the Montagues and Capulets quarrel. This 2-5 player game focuses on hand management and influence token placement to gain Victory Points. The most Victory Points wins the game. Earn points by playing influence on certain characters and meet their special agenda.






1 comment:

  1. Hooray for fellow Lit-Chicks! I was quick to check out Marrying Mr. Darcy when I saw it at BGGcon (also a hand management game), but while I appreciated that one for its theme and flavor text I don't think I'll be purchasing it. This one looks like it might be better designed, gameplay-wise, and worth checking out, especially for the Shakespeare fans on our Christmas Lists.

    We played Canalis on Saturday. I won by monopolizing gardens and pork production, as one does.

    ReplyDelete