Thursday, November 26, 2020

Desperately Seeking Joy: Thanksgiving 2020

 

We had a great at-home Thanksgiving this year. First we enjoyed our meal in the "dining" room. It's a fancy room with tons of antiques and breakables. I think I've only eaten in there 3 times in my whole life. I remember an Easter when we celebrated in there. I think my mom was really excited to be able to eat in there and really appreciated it.

The day started with a visit from the wild cats who live under the neighbor's porch. My daughter loves them and we both enjoyed them a little bit today.
Then it was time for our Turkey Trot around the lake! We skipped Starbucks this year, because, while a tradition, it just didn't feel worth it.

Then it was time to put on MST3K on ShoutFactory. Sadly, it didn't hit all the buttons for all the family members. My mom and daughter went to take a quick mid-morning nap while my husband enjoyed a 20 year tradition. After everyone had a chance to rest, we got the meal going. It only took an hour to get everything ready.

We enjoyed a simple meal:
  • Pre-cooked Festival Turkey
  • Stove-Top Stuffing
  • Canned Corn
  • Jarred Gravy
  • Bob Evans Potatoes
  • Ocean Spray Cranberry Jelly
  • Pre-made Dinner Rolls
  • Homemade Green Bean Casserole (We use Chicken ala King instead of Mushroom Soup)
  • Homemade Keto Sex in a Pan Dessert


My mom and I spent a good bit of time sharing stories in the dining room while my husband cleared the table and watched some MST3K. The majority of the afternoon was spent relaxing and digesting. But as I was scrolling through a feed, I saw this Thanksgiving Mad Libs and we did it together was a family.

Thanksgiving from a Kid’s Point of View

Today we are celebrating HALLOWEEN dinner at TRUMPY’s house. When we arrived, my DAUGHTER greeted us with a big, METALLIC kiss. Kisses are so CLANGING! Now we’re just waiting for the LION to come out of the oven. My dad is watching SOFTBALL on TV. He always shouts, “FUDGE” when his team scores a HOUSE. Yesss!! Only 20 more minutes until the CAT will be ready to eat. I wonder if my mom will let me try the PIZZA first. My grandma makes the best SWEET pie! It smells like a TOWER. (Much better than my GRANDCHILD. He/she smells like LEAF.) Happy CHRISTMAS!


Before it got too dark, my mom had some papers to burn, so we went out together and tried to start a little fire in the pit. Some things were too damp, so we couldn't get the whole pit going, but we got some burning done.


The rest of our day was spent relaxing. We put on some holiday movies that were playing in FreeForm. It was a lovely, relaxing day. What a nice and simple Thanksgiving. The only changes from our normal Thanksgiving is that it wasn't held at our house and I didn't home cook everything. 





No comments:

Post a Comment