Friday, May 18, 2018

From a Certain Point of View #5: "Reirin"

"Reirin" by Sabaa Tahir

Sabaa Tahir is best known for her fantasy work An Ember in the Ashes series. This short story is narrated by Carol Monda who is an award-winning voice actor.

Reirin is a Tusken Raider who needs to complete a mission by sneaking onto a sandcrawler and retrieve something from the Jawas' staff of junk. Reirin is written in the style of an internal monologue where she runs through her own battle of her position as a Tusken. She even gets to a point where she connects more with the item that she finds than she does with her own bantha. Reirin keeps pushing forward, though, continuing on her mission.

I really enjoyed this particular story, because it put me in the mind of a Tusken Raider. I loved the additive and the understanding. I also liked her chastisement of the farmer buying the droids. There are races in Star Wars that I don't know a whole lot about, so this particular story had the flavor and the personality that kept me interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment