Saturday, October 5, 2019

The Joy of Gaming: October Challenge 2019 - Day 5: Jurassic Park: Danger! (2018)



Our daughter came out of the womb a Jurassic Park fan. Okay, well... that might be a bit of hyperbole for you. I can remember the exact moment she became enamored with it. AMC was constantly showing Jurassic Park. Oh my goodness it was driving me nuts. My daughter was already into dinosaurs, but when she came downstairs, I pointed out to her how cool the triceratops was in the scene where Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant and fawning over the Trice on the ground. She practically tried to climb in the TV and the rest... is history. 

This game was an absolutely must-have for her and, of course, it found its way into our collection. While the game plays up to 5 players, I have preferred the 2-player gameplay. Tonight we played it as a family. Sadly... my daughter's dinosaurs beat our poor set of Nedry, Dr. Sattler, Dr. Grant, and Dr. Malcolm. We each had one player die and then... well... Dr. Sattler left Dr. Grant all alone on the island. I'm sure he survived. Remember the retconned Jurassic Park 3? 

So you're probably wondering why in the world I would include this in the spooky games list. Well... when I was a kid and Jurassic Park first game out, I was scared to death. The scene where the T-Rex breaks out and then eats the blood-sucking lawyer? Yep... still can't stomach watching it. I left the theater EVERY TIME that scene started to play and I still, all these years later, avoid it. Not long ago I actually attempted to watch it, but I still cannot. Too many creepy moments. 

The basement at my childhood home also had a furnace or something that would snap in the basement. It was a finished basement, so there was a pull out bed and I was staying down there while my bedroom was painted. I heard that clicking all the time and it always made me think of the raptors clicking their massive claw. I can't tell you how many times I looked towards the hallway towards the sound, expecting the see a head peaking around the corner. 

Those traumas are why I couldn't resist putting this on my spooky list. Love, love, love the idea of it being scary. I still get anxious when the T-Rex starts to target me. Get me out of there are all costs!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment