Thursday, July 23, 2020

Tabletop Thursday #3


What a day or relaxation. I did get to finally sleep and feel rested so that I didn't want to pass out with a nap. I also got work done on a few projects. But it's game day, so it was really about looking forward to some games.

First we played Horrified (2019) which I picked. I was so excited to play it. Horrified is a cooperative game where you fight different classic monsters. It is really worth picking up and was even great for my 10-year-old daughter. We just played the first layout to learn the game, but I am up for another play soon. We won by defeating Dracula and The Creature from the Black Lagoon using the Archeologist, the Explorer, and the Scientist.

Raptors not included.
Then my husband wanted to introduce our daughter to Timeline Challenge (2015). I know Timeline is frustrating for kids, because they automatically just say, "I don't know it." I experienced this for years in my game club. I give them advice and strategies, but they just kind of stop caring, which is sad, because some of the things they'd learn are so interesting. My husband and I enjoy Timeline, so it was great to break it out. Sadly, my husband pulled ahead by getting the chance to earn points in a showdown against my daughter. I was ahead, but he earned the points to then put him ahead just enough to beat me. Boooo. Timeline Challenge is an interesting spin on the game itself and I like the new mechanics it gives you for how to earn points with the cards. It's worth it and I still keep recommending it to my friend, because it would be fun for him to play in his bro-gaming-scenarios.

Another fun game bonus is that my husband ended up trading for the Mr. Jack Extension (2007). I love the Mr. Jack games. They're fun and challenging in their own way.

And because I want to keep this thing short and sweet, I'm just going to paste the email I sent to my coworkers about my mom, because I don't feel like writing anything at the moment:
I hope you're all having a wonderful summer and enjoying the beautiful outdoors!
I just wanted to share some news that has come across the wire. First, my mom just celebrated her 70th birthday! We were so happy to be able to share that with her. We had a drive-by birthday. I am sad to say the house is still not cleaned out and I continue to find remnants from the 80s and 90s in closets, drawers, and basement spaces. If you need golf balls, I have promised them all to Blair, but he might be willing to share his plunder (I don't want to speak for him on that. Haha!).
Sadly, this celebration was followed by news that her cancer is still slowly growing, which means the treatment she was doing is no longer an option for her. She has been ousted from the study where she was able to take pills for chemo. Her tumors have also started inflicting pain, which is clearly troubling. Her two options are radiation for pain with no other treatment or going back to chemo with a port. From our last conversation, she still feels she has too much left of her house to clean out and is thinking of going back on the chemo. If the house not being cleaned out is what is keeping her motivated, I will no longer be helping. Haha! :-)
But as we know, chemo is hard to do on your own. We're trying to figure out how to move forward with that particular concern. 
While everyday for everyone is uncertain, I am so thankful with how things have gone and I'm hoping her next decision will give her enough time not only to see Isabelle turn 10, but see me turn 40 in December. Just one more day, one more week, one more month, one more year. She responded well to the liquid chemo the first time... we're hoping that will be what we're looking at now. 
Thank you for all your support and I hope you are all doing well during these uncertain times.


No comments:

Post a Comment