Saturday, September 15, 2018

A Nerdy Teacher's Closet: Week 2 (9/10 - 9/14)

My giant closet threw me some curveballs this week. I had some moments where I was at a loss for what to wear, but I figured it out.

I also suffered a chastisement by my husband for a sneaky shirt purchase. Yes... shame and consternation, but I don't buy anything else! I just wish shirts weren't so expensive. I have a friend who is obsessed with socks and I'm like... gosh... wish my obssession was cheap like that.

Regardless, here is this week's offering of shirts that I was really just happy to wear, because the heart was, once again, insane and I have no A/C in my classroom.


Week 2: 9/10 - 9/14


Monday, September 10, 2018
Today I was scheduled to teach one of my favorite Literacy lessons: Wooing Literature. I compare the choosing of a book to finding a relationship. There's the love at first site, then you get a little closer to try to learn a little more, then you ask questions, get their digits, and then go on your first date. Then I talk about the relationship that is formed or maybe there's a break-up. What happens when it's a series? Well, you're in it for the long-haul. It's really a great lesson. I had a few shirts picked out for this but 1) one had a spot and 2) the other had these two black Miyazaki style soot sprites kind of right over my boobs. I know this shirt will probably come up again, but I wore my Satellite of Love shirt and dorkishly giggled at my idea that I'm riffing relationships by comparing people to books. (From TeePublic.com)



Tuesday, September 11, 2018
I feel like, to some degree, there are still many people who hold onto this tragic image and this tragic day. What I've been learning, though, as a teacher, is that the generation that doesn't understand or know or even liked during 9/11 are quickly becoming adults with no context for the inciting incident that made their world the twisted place it is right now. I brought out my 9/11 shirt and then had my students make a slide sharing what they knew about 9/11. (From 911Day.org, but no longer available.)



Wednesday, September 12, 2018
We had our yearly training for how to handle concerns over people who we think are depressed or who might want to commit suicide. It is a topic close to my heart, so I wanted to stand in solidarity, even if it was just for myself, to helping others who are in so much pain. So I wore my "Always Keep Fighting" shirt, which was part of a campaign that Jared Padalecki (Gilmore Girls, Supernatural) made when he came out as suffering from depression. I bought it for the motto, because it is a constant battle. (From Represent.com, but they reprinted it, so it's not the exact shirt.)


Thursday, September 13, 2018
Today my students had to do their research for what we call a On-Demand Writing Assessment. We provide them with resources and then they write an informative essay about the topic. Many years ago, my district colleagues chose the topic of "Eating Bugs." Too often, it does not turn into an informative essay, it turns into an argumentative essay, but either way. It was on the docket for today. Additionally, we were doing our first lab in Science. Nothing grandiose, just making little fans using different types of energy, but an experiment nonetheless. So I wore my AntMan shirt from LootCrate, which is no longer available through LootCrate.com, but you can find it in various places online if you must have it. I'll leave the connections for you to ponder, though.



Friday, September 14, 2018
This was the day that gave me trouble this week. I almost wore dress clothes, but I didn't want to yet. I genuinely really had nothing I wanted to connect with and some of my shirts I wasn't ready to break out and show off. So since the students were actually doing the writing of their On-Demand (they get a day for research), I figured it's collecting data about the truth of their understanding about informative writing. So I wore my Punisher shirt. I had my typical black shirt over it, plus I'm realizing no one REALLY notices my shirts, but that's okay. I don't wear them for the attention. I wear them for the love of my shirts. They make ME feel AMAZING and that's all that matters. SO TAKE THAT DATA!!! TAKE IT I SAY! (From TeePublic.com)



Goodness.... it just dawned on me that I put quite a bit of thought into my shirts, but that thought is like two minutes in the morning. That's gotta be some kind of talent, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment