Sunday, March 11, 2018

The Joy of Gaming: Women Game Designers - Qwirkle

Women's History Month: 

A Joy of Gaming Tribute to 

Women Game Designers

#WomensHistoryMonth


Qwirkle (2006)

Qwirkle is a game that I really enjoyed bringing into my classroom game club. I loved the abstract quality of it, but it also catered to my love of pattern building and strategy. Every time I bring this game to an event where there are families, it becomes popular, because it is a game that can be played in a reasonable about of time and it uses visuals that are appealing to players of all ages. Also, according to my husband it is his 6th most played game in our collection, which is honestly impressive for such an unassuming game.



Ross has many games on her designer list, but Qwirkle is the most successful. She focuses more on games for younger gamers. She is one of, what I like to call, the young gateway designers. These designers create games for young children that introduce gaming skills, as well as educational concepts. I know my initial article pointed out how many foundational games were created by women. Ross is part of that impressive tradition. 




No comments:

Post a Comment